The maceration took place in still tank over a period of 25 days, during which time alcoholic fermentation was also completed, at controlled temperature, never exceeding 24 °C. The wine is then transferred to new French oak barriques (Troncais, Nevers and Alliers medium toasting) where malolactic fermentation is completed. The wine is then racked, blended and then returned to the barrels for about 12 months aging, followed by aging in bottles for about 6 months before release.
Deep ruby red colour. A subtle nose of full-ripe fruit like plums, blackberries and flowers. Pleasant spicy notes of black pepper, cloves, tobacco and wet earth. Full to medium body, very soft at the palate and pleasantly salty with a lingering finish and fruity aftertaste.
- Smeriglio Syrah 2012: 2 Bicchieri Gambero Rosso
- Smeriglio Syrah 2012: 3 Grappoli Bibenda Vini d’Italia
- Smeriglio Syrah 2012: 90 points James Suckling
- Smeriglio Syrah 2011: 92 points James Suckling
- Smeriglio Syrah 2011: Silver Medal DWWA
- Smeriglio Syrah 2011: 2 Bicchieri Gambero Rosso_
- Smeriglio Syrah 2010: 93 points Wine Spectator
- Smeriglio Syrah 2010: 93 points James Suckling
- Smeriglio Syra 2010: 3 Stelle I Vini di Veronelli
- Smeriglio Syrah 2009: 92 points James Suckling
- Smeriglio Syrah 2009: Bronze Medal DWWA
- Smeriglio Syrah 2009: Bronze Medal China Sommelier Wine Challenge
- Smeriglio Syrah 2008: 92 points Wine Spectator